Life in Australia

What you need to know as an Australian permanent resident or citizen.

Australian lifestyle

There is no such thing as a typical Australian lifestyle. Some Australians choose a laid-back life in the country, and others prefer to live in busy cosmopolitan areas. Regardless of where they choose to stay, Australians enjoy a high quality of life.

See > Life in Australia book.

Australian values

The Australian government encourages new residents to learn as much as they can about their new country, including Australia’s heritage, language, customs, values and way of life.

See > Australian values.

Information for permanent residents

Becoming an Australian citizen

The Australian government encourages permanent Australian residents to apply for Australian citizenship when they become eligible.

See > Applying for Australian Citizenship.

Bringing your family members to Australia

If you are an Australian citizen or permanent resident with family overseas, your family may be able to apply for a family visa option.

Visa options for family members include:

  • Partner category visa options
  • Child and adoption visa options
  • Relative visa options
  • Parent visa options

See> Bringing your family or partners.

Children born to permanent residents of Australia

Children born in Australia to a permanent resident parent will automatically acquire Australian citizenship at the time of the child’s birth.

See > Children born to a permanent resident of Australia.

Other useful information for permanent residents of Australia

Australian permanent residents may be eligible for a number of services within Australia, including access to our national health scheme and social security.

See > Australian permanent resident information.

Beginning a life in Australia

Living in Australia

For information on settlement and multicultural affairs, including:

  • Settling in Australia​​​
  • Settlement policy, programs, service providers and grants
  • Multicultural Australia (including a calendar of religious and cultural dates)

See > Settlement and multicultural affairs information.

Learn to speak English

The Adult Migrant English Language Program (AMEP) provides up to 510 hours of free English language tuition to eligible migrants from the skilled, family and humanitarian visa streams.

See > Adult Migrant English Program (AMEP).

Help with translating and interpreting

The Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS National) is an interpreting service provided by the Department of Immigration and Border Protection to:

  • Help people who do not speak English in their daily lives
  • Help agencies and businesses to communicate with their non-English speaking clients

See > Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS) National.

Family safety pack

The Australian Government has developed a family safety pack with information on Australia’s laws regarding domestic and family violence, sexual assault and forced marriage. The family safety pack also includes important information about essential services and emergency contacts in Australia.

See > Family safety pack

Certificate of Status

Certificate of Status are for permanent residents or eligible New Zealand citizens who need evidence of their status in Australia and are unable to use our Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO) tool.

See > Certificate of Status.

New Zealand citizens

Most New Zealand citizens who enter Australia on a New Zealand passport do so under the Trans-Tasman Travel arrangements.

See> New Zealand citizens.