Studying in Australia

Information on how to apply for student visas, studying in Australia and bringing family with you.

There are various visas that you can apply for to study in Australia which depend on the type of study you choose to undertake. For recent reviews see our reviews of student visa programme page for more information.

Higher education

If you would like to study in Australia at a university or tertiary level then you may be eligible for the Higher Education Sector Visa (subclass 573) orPostgraduate Research Sector Visa (subclass 574). If your intention is to study a non-award foundation studies course or components of a course (other than English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students) that does not lead to an award then the Non Award Sector visa (subclass 575) may suit your needs.

For those who intend to come to Australia to undertake English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students (ELICOS) the Independent ELICOS Sector visa (subclass 570) provides this option.

In some cases it is possible to package your studies on the one visa subclass. For more information please see Course packaging.

Eligible student visa applicants from participating education providers may also be able to apply for Streamlined student visa processing.

If you have finished your studies and wish to work in Australia temporarily, please see Post-study work arrangements or our Working visas.


Primary and secondary school

For visas that allow students to enrol in primary or secondary school, or for participation in school exchange programmes the School Sector visa (subclass 571) may be suitable. Guardians of an international student younger than 18 years of age can apply for the Student Guardian Visa (subclass 580) in order to stay with the student in the country. 

Education, training and sponsorship for study

International students that are interested in vocational education and training courses can apply for the Vocational Education and Training Sector visa (subclass 572).

For training and research opportunities which allow you to take part in structured workplace-based training, you may be eligible for the Training and Research visa (subclass 402).

In some cases the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade or the Department of Defence will sponsor students to study in Australia. Students participating in this arrangement may be eligible for the Foreign Affairs or Defence Sector visa (subclass 576).


Visiting and studying

If you would like to come to Australia for a visit and short-term study, you may be eligible for a visitor visa. To learn more about this option please see our information on Visiting Australia.

Assessment levels

Assessment levels are essential in understanding the student visa process. They can change according to the country of your passport and to the education sector of your main course of study. If you would like to know more about assessment levels please visit Student visa assessment levels.

More information for students

In some cases is it possible for family members of a student visa holder to stay with them in Australia. If you would like to learn more about this please see Bringing your family with you. For more useful information on student visas please visit More information for students.

As a student it is important to check what you can bring into Australia before you enter. Please ensure you visit our Can I bring it back? guide before you decide to bring anything to Australia.

If you are an education provider and wish you know more please see information for Education providers